Well, it’s the last week of classes for undergraduate and graduate students here at LMU, and the beautiful spring weather is doing its best to distract. Good luck, Lions! Stay focused. You’re almost to the finish line. Meanwhile, here is what’s happening this week in LMU Extension and around the University:
- Two workshops with Extension Coordinator Fay Craton have been scheduled for May 10 and June 1: “Being a Substance Abuse Counselor”
- An information session for prospective students interested in the Peer Specialist for Youth program has been scheduled for May 20 in Culver City.
- The Most Reverend Gordon Bennett, S.J., Bishop Emeritus of Mandeville (Jamaica) and Peter Faber, S.J. Fellow at LMU, will preside at the Center for Religion and Spirituality certificate graduation ceremony on June 20.
- LMU Business Incubator Showcase on Wednesday, April 26, at 6:30 p.m. Presented by the LMU College of Business Administration
- Free Class in San Bernardino on Wednesday, April 26, at 7 p.m.: “Written on our Hearts: Natural Law, Scripture, and the Will of God in Catholic Theology” with Dr. Matthew Petrusek, Assistant Professor the Theological Studies at LMU. This class will explore the meaning and application of natural law in relation to St. Thomas Aquinas’s four-fold division of the law in Catholic theology: eternal, natural, human, and divine.
- Lecture on Friday, April 28 at 1:30 p.m.: “Chinese Pop Culture” with Zhuo Han, Fulbright Teaching Assistant. Presented by the LMU Department of Asian and Asian American Studies
- Lecture on Friday, April 28 at 3 p.m.: “Whale Hips Don’t Lie: Functional Anatomy and Mating Strategies in Cetaceans” with Dr. James P. Dines, Mammology Collections Manager at the Natural History Museum here in Los Angeles. Presented by the LMU Department of Biology
- 52nd Annual Spring Chorale on Friday, April 28, at 8 p.m. Presented by the LMU Department of Music
- Workshop on Saturday, April 29, at 9 a.m.: “The Call to Healing” with Dr. James Finley. A spiritual, mini-retreat devoted to exploring passages in the writings of the Christian mystics that help participants to be healed from the suffering that flows in our estrangement from God’s presence in our lives.
Courses beginning this Week
- Tools for Peer Providers with Instructor Elizabeth Hartigan meets in Culver City beginning Wednesday, April 26, at 10 a.m. This course will focus on transitional-age youth (TAY) and the parents of children, adolescents and transitional-age youth. This course counts towards the Peer Specialist for Youth certificate program.
- Academic Spanish for the Language Arts and Social Studies Instructional Program with Instructors Gisela O’Brien and Maricela Zavala meets online beginning Wednesday, April 26, at 4 p.m. The objective of this course is to increase teachers’ abilities in the use of academic level Spanish in the language arts and social science content areas.
Thanks for reading and, as always, we invite you to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter and email announcements, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Questions? Contact LMU Extension at (310) 338-1971 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.